Adult Guardianship

If your parent is unable to make sound decisions, usually as the result of Alzheimer's or dementia, then you can obtain a legal guardianship of your parent. This is a legal procedure that goes through the Probate Court of the county of your parent's residence. The court will appoint a doctor to do an evaluation and make a recommendation. At the conclusion of the procedure, the judge will sign an order appointing you as the guardian. Legal control over your parent is referred to as a "guardianship" and legal control over your parent's property is referred to as a "conservatorship."